Friday, April 25, 2014

Selection of oddities at the supermarket

I'm only gonna nurture the typical stereotype which is that food is horrible in the United States, but nevermind. It's just to show you the weird stuff we can find at the supermarket. It was too tempting. Of course it is possible to eat well here too, if you buy the rights products and cook a little bit. 
Almost all the pictures were taken in Walmart, which is the furthest you can be from sophistication. Although all those items can be found elsewehere, Walmart is just really good at giving an unbeatable choice of monstruosities.   

Springles galore... in a whole array of crazy fake flavours: Pizza, Hamburger, loaded potatoe, to name a few. 

Who wants gallons of chemical juice?

"I can't believe it's not butter!" Uhhh Yes I can... They don't know what real butter is. The butter aisle is mostly filled with giant containers of substitute butter, cheaper and easy to spread. "I can't believe it's not butter": It's a brand, and it seems like they want to make you believe that their produce has the same taste than butter. Bullshit. 

Mickey shaped cheese or sticks of blended cheese? MMmmm

The rest of the cheese aisle: sliced and under plastic. Yes, Walmart doesn't really have a cheese aisle. Everything is pre-sliced, ready to put in your sandwich. In the "gourmet' section you can find some very pasteurized goat cheese, brie or camembert, at best. 

If you want to find sliced ham, they sell it to you without the rind and cut in square. You wonder where the "ham" comes from... 

If you find it not convenient to cut a piece of margarine and make it melt to grease your pan, no problem! Here it also comes in a spray bottle... wtf!

Cute mini marshmallows (I like a few in hot coco... for real, it's not bad.)


Left: the snack that everybody seem to swear by: fake jelly in a fake cookie with fake frosting on top.
Right: some kind of sandwiches with ice cream between two layers of soft cookie. Meh.






















Here is an ice cream brand I like. I won't speak for the weird flavours like "birthday cake", but I'm satisfied with Cookies & Cream. 


Frozen cakes aisle: lots of stuff with cream. I'm not a fan, except for the cookies and cream pie. But it's fair to say you can give me cookies and cream under any shape and form.


The dressing section got to be the most staggering of the supermarket. So much variety of vinaigrettes and other ranch sauces that it takes a whole aisle. It's sad but out of all the people I know here I must be the only one able to make vinaigrette myself. 

Cookies are always disappointing. Why aren't they able to make a BN or Pepito??! Cookies are all so bad here that I don't even take an afternoon snack anymore! 

When I saw that thing the hair stood up on the back of my head! Potatoes individually wrapped in plastic paper. You can cook that thing directly in the micro wave in its wrapper and in 6 minutes it is said to have the same taste than baked in the oven. It's magic. 
At  Target (another supermarket) they downright wrap EVERY vegetable in plastic. It's clear they don't know the concept of wrapping savings... What a shame. 
Well, after that I'm sure that everybody is comforted in their ideas. So yes, i do know that it's much better in France, no need to remind it to me and make me suffer! Otherwise I'll stop bringing back Peanut Butter M&Ms! ;)

2 comments:

  1. It's the first time I read your blog, so nice to "meet" you! I just saw this post and felt so identified with your comments that I needed to say something. I came to California almost two years ago from Spain. My first visits to the grocery store (Safeway) were a shock. Everything, from the bulk discounts to the huge size of the packages got my attention. I was laughing while watching your photos because I recently wrote a post on my blog with almost exactly the same thoughts. I can't understand the gallon obsession thing. Not just for the chemical juice, as you pointed out, but even bbq sauce! who needs so much bbq sauce! You talked about the "birthday cake" flavor... I've seen the "American* birthday cake" flavor, that's even better.
    I don't know how other people grocery shop, but I always have to figure out how to do it to not end up wasting food...If you're single or don't eat at home everyday, things get really complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letica, I'm glad to see we both had to go through the same culture shock! It makes me feel better to know it's not just a french thing... Indeed a lot of Americans still live with the idea that Bigger is Better. There is only a few things I appreciate out of this: my gallon of orange juice and super cheap containers of 80+ pain killer pills. ;)

      Delete