Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day!

 I'm not gonna give you an rundown on Valentine's Day, even though that's hardcore around here. I thought I knew everything about this holiday in the US. The difference between France and the US is that here, Valentine's Day is not only a lovers day, it's an occasion for everybody to show ones love/friendship/affection for whoever you want! Between friends, from parents to kids, between kids at school (and please... in a very organized way), as Louison is explaining it so well in her blog article "Les Américains et le Love" (Read it if you can read french, it's really funny!). We wish each other a happy Valentine's Day, (Got 3 text from friends this morning already...), some offer cards to each other, etc... To me it's a little beyond belief, but after all, why not, you feel less lonely when you're single! The new stuff I've learnt this year, is that there's also a VGalentine's Day the day before Valentin's Day! What is that??


Explanation:
1: "Gal" is a casual word for "fille", it's actually an alteration of the word "girl".
2: Galentine's Day is the name of an episod from the serie Parks and Recreation. The story is that every February 13th, Leslie (Amy Poehler) and her girl friends leave their husbands or boyfriends home and go out to celebrate their friendship, girls celebrating girls. It seems like this fad comes from there. 
Anyway, last night a good friend of mine had invited me to join her and her other friends (so that means I made even more girl friends!) for my first Galentine's Day! I think I couldn't be more immersed in the American culture than that... lol


No comments:

Post a Comment